- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Colored sugar
- Beat butter, sugars and salt until blended; beat in lemon peel. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Let dough stand at room temperature 5-10 minutes to soften slightly.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll each portion of dough between two pieces of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut dough with a floured 1-1/2-in. heart-shaped or other cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, 7-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth; spread over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forLemon Shortbreads
"Thanks-will try to get it from a large bakery-a cake shop or a large store."
"Made these for my family reunion. My older sister said " never again " cause she kept eating them! Took a little bit extra time to bake but worth the effort. Very Lemony and quite good. Cut them into almost a 2 bite size. Excellent."
"But I couldn't roll it out so I formed a log, chilled very well, then sliced 1/4 inch then baked."
"baking time was off by about ten minutes. Love the lemony flavor, texture was just right!"
"I made these according to the recipe, and though they did take a few minutes longer to bake, once they were done, the consistency and flavor was great! I made them small--I used bite-size Christmas cookie cutters in various shapes--and it was hard not to just pop them in my mouth as I went along! These are sure to be a hit!"
"They were pasty. Once you took a bite it was like a mouthful of glue."
"These cookies are delicious. The only issue I had was the cooking time. After 6-8 on 325 they were still basically raw. I had to turn my oven up to 350."