VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour. Mix until dough forms a ball and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Stir in lemon peel if desired.
- Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Score with a sharp knife into 16 squares. Prick each square twice with a fork. Sprinkle with pecans; press firmly into dough.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and pecans are toasted. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut along scored lines. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 16 squares.
Originally published as Lemon Shortbread Squares in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p75
Reviews forLemon Shortbread Squares
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review