Lemon Shortbread Squares
During the Christmas season, I keep homemade cookies available in my office to share with co-workers. These easy-to-prepare squares always get rave reviews.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour. Mix until dough forms a ball and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Stir in lemon zest if desired.
- Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Score with a sharp knife into 16 squares. Prick each square twice with a fork. Sprinkle with pecans; press firmly into dough.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and pecans are toasted. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut along scored lines. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 140 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Mar 26, 2011
Since we love lemon flavoring, I substituted lemon oil for the lemon extract and used the entire grated lemon peel of one lemon. Love shortbread, love lemon, and this one is a winner! So easy to make, so easy to eat.