Lemon Shortbread Squares
During the Christmas season, I keep homemade cookies available in my office to share with co-workers. These easy-to-prepare squares always get rave reviews.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour. Mix until dough forms a ball and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Stir in lemon zest if desired.
- Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Score with a sharp knife into 16 squares. Prick each square twice with a fork. Sprinkle with pecans; press firmly into dough.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and pecans are toasted. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut along scored lines. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 140 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Shortbread Squares in Best of Country Cookies
Mar 26, 2011
Since we love lemon flavoring, I substituted lemon oil for the lemon extract and used the entire grated lemon peel of one lemon. Love shortbread, love lemon, and this one is a winner! So easy to make, so easy to eat.