Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. (Dough will be crumbly.) Shape into a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, press dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-in. fluted cookie cutter; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick cookies with a fork. Reroll scraps if desired.
- 3. Bake until firm, 12-15 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before carefully removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; drizzle over cookies. Store in an airtight container.
1 each: 77 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Dec 1, 2014
I was disappointed with these cookies. They were not light and delicate, rather tough. I also felt that the addition of the nutmeg was not a good idea, and detracted from the lemon flavour.
Feb 11, 2011
These are absolutely delicious. Light and delicate cookies, fantastic flavor. Very easy to make. The lemon zest adds just the right touch. Only butter; no substitutes!