There is a kebab shop in Charlottesville called Sticks and they make great sides that include Sesame Beans. I love them, and decided I had to make my own version to have any time. You can use fresh or frozen green beans for this recipe; haricot verts work well, too! It only gets better as it sits, so it's great (and convenient!) to make a day or two in advance. —Dyan Carlson, Kents Store, Virginia
Recommended: 17 Ways to Love Green Beans
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add green beans; cook, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Remove green beans; drain well.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over green beans; toss to coat. Serve hot or at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lemon-Sesame Green Bean Salad in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018