- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 9 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off and let stand in oven for 1 hour. Do not open door. Remove from the oven; cool on wire rack.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks and remaining sugar. Gradually stir in lemon juice and peel. Cook and stir over simmering water for 15 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Cover and refrigerate until cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread half over meringue; cover with lemon mixture. Top with remaining cream mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Refrigerate overnight. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forLemon Schaum Torte
"For Karen 108 I think he probably did not cook it long enough or possibly his stoves version of medium high was closer to medium low"
"This was very,very good. I will be making this often.My husband loved it.And it was very easy to make..Thank you so very much for sharing..."
"Make this only when the humidity is low or it will be sticky. I deleted the cinnamon and used finely grated lemon peel."
"My boyfriend baked this torte and he was wondering why the lemon filling did not thicken as much as it should even though every detail of the recipe was followed. Any suggestions or idea?Thank you"