Lemon Rice Pudding Brulee
“You can make the lemonade from frozen concentrate to speed up the assembly of this delicious and easy rice pudding and crème brulee hybrid.” —Helen Conwell, Fairhope, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Broil: 5 min.
- 1-1/3 cups lemonade
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablepoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring lemonade and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon zest. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in cranberries and cooled rice.
- Divide among six 8-oz. ramekins. Place on a baking sheet. Combine brown sugar and remaining sugar. If using a creme brulee torch, sprinkle puddings with sugar mixture. Heat sugar with the torch until caramelized. Sprinkle with pecans. Serve immediately.
- If broiling the puddings, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Sprinkle with pecans. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 294 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Pecan-Bruleed Lemon Rice Pudding in Taste of Home October/November 2008
Oct 12, 2008
This was very tasty, but more work than I'm used to. My husband loved it and I'll be looking for more brulee recipes in the future. This was a good one to start with.