Lemon Rhubarb Tube Cake
For a taste of summer, try this dessert. The cake's fresh lemon flavor and tart rhubarb topping are so refreshing. —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- RHUBARB TOPPING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. Finely grate enough zest from lemons to measure 2 tablespoons. Cut lemons crosswise in half; squeeze juice from lemons to measure 1/4 cup. Save remaining juice for another use.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and zest. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- 4. Meanwhile, for topping, combine sugar and rhubarb in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until rhubarb is almost tender, 8-10 minutes. Add halved strawberries; cook until strawberries and rhubarb are softened. Serve with cake. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
1 slice with 1/4 cup sauce: 481 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 18, 2019made with gluten free as told in june-july magazine was great
Jun 24, 2019It was so easy to make and the cake was tasty on its own. I made a double batch of the strawberry rhubarb sauce and that seemed to be enough to please everyone. The only thing other thing that I did differently was to put the cooked rhubarb into a blender to make it smoother and then add the strawberries. Several of us immediately had seconds. It was a big hit!
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC