Lemon Raspberry Cake
Springtime sweets aren’t any more appealing than Lemon Raspberry Cake shared by Eden Atkerson of Atlanta, Georgia.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 jar (12 ounces) seedless raspberry jam
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine milk and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place a bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a fifth of the jam. Repeat layers four times. Top with remaining cake.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and zest until blended. Frost top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 579 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Raspberry Cake in Light & Tasty April/May 2006