Lemon Raisin Filled Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill overnight.
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add water; stir to dissolve. Add raisins; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir a little of the hot mixture into beaten egg; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and zest. Cool.
- Divide chilled dough into thirds. Roll out a portion at a time on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 2-1/2-in. circles. Place 1 teaspoon filling on half of the circles; top with remaining circles. Pinch edges together to seal; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. (Use any leftover filling in tarts or as a dessert sauce over cake.)
Nutrition Facts2 each: 288 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 4, 2012
This is an old 'Lemon Raisin Filled Cookies' recipe. The raisin filling may or may not be the filling suggested on the 'Basic Cookie Dough' recipe. It doesn't read as a clear filling. It is even suggested as a sauce - if there's any extra leftover.
Nov 11, 2011
everyone that ate these loved them