- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 5-3/4x3x2-in loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients. Spoon over loaves.
Freeze option: Do not make icing. Securely wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare icing as directed. Yield: 2 mini loaves (6 slices each).
Reviews forLemon Pound Cake Loaves
"I made this for my daughter in law who loves the lemon cake at a famous coffee shop. I think this one is better than the one they sell! Not only great flavor, but the texture is excellent as well. Even better with the icing!"
"This was really good, but I increased the lemon extract to one teaspoon and added a tablespoon of lemon zest, since my family loves lemon flavored desserts. I plan to make several of these loaves for a church bake sale next month, along with the other breads I'll be baking. The icing was the perfect touch!"
"i didn't have ne lemon - so I used lime instead - folks were amazed over the key lime bread!"
"I made this on a dreary rainy NH day and it certainly brightened up the day! Great flavor , easy and a great gift to give! I will be making this again! My cook time was slightly longer."