- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) lemon cake mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes. Add the water, oil and extracts. Beat for 30 seconds on low speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat for 4 minutes on medium speed. Stir in poppy seeds. Pour into a greased 10-cup fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; drizzle over the warm cake. Cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forLemon Poppy Seed Cake
"This cakes bakes up a beautiful yellow color and a fabulous lemon taste! The cake did not taste of fake lemon but instead a light refreshing lemon taste. I made it as directed except used 5 mini-loaves instead of a bundt pan. Wrapped individually and gave away as gifts. With or without powdered sugar this is a winning cake!"
"I've been making for years. Very good!What I do different is--after the cake comes out of the oven (still in pan) I poke holes with long tine fork and pour topping on. Let cool completely in pan."
"would the cooking time change at all if i put it in a cake pan and what size should i use?"
"I just made this. It is fantastic! I did adjust the cooking time to 30 minutes."
"At what point in the recipe do you add the eggs? Would like an answer."
"The recipe doesn't state in the directions when to add the eggs. I'm making it now for a picnic this afternoon....hope it comes out as good as it sounds!"
"The best pound cake I have ever made or tasted."