- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the egg yolks, lemon juice and peel, salt and remaining sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into lemon filling; spread into meringue shell. Top with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forLemon Pie in Meringue Shell
"I have made lemon meringue pies before, and I was very dissapointed with this one. The filling was not stiff enough. The shell had no substance, and the recipe did not give you enough lemon filling for the shell."
"Going to have to find a better way to thicken the filling. I have made pies for 45 yrs., and like many ot the others, couldn't get it to thicken properly. Good taste, but just too runny."
"This is wonderful. What agreat twist, and no heavy crust"
"How much sugar are you supposed to add to which part?"
"I'm always looking for flourless recipe because I can't eat wheat. This one is great!"