Lemon Pepper Biscotti
Flavored with a zesty combination of black pepper, garlic, lemon and Parmesan cheese, these crisp, savory "cookies" - a fun variation on the sweet version - are great for dipping or solo snacking.
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and garlic until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon zest, baking powder, pepper and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until blended (dough will be stiff).
- Divide dough in half. On an ungreased baking sheet, roll each portion into a 12-in. log. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully transfer to a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes on each side or until golden brown and firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 189 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lemon-Pepper Biscotti in Country Woman Christmas 2006