Soft and light as a feather, these lemony twists are a delicious addition to a breakfast or brunch, especially when served with a cup of coffee or tea. Drizzled icing tops them off beautifully.—Taste of Home Cooking School, Greendale, Wisconsin
Recommended: 32 Recipes For Your Baking Bucket List
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine almonds, brown sugar and lemon peel. Roll dough to a 21x8-in. rectangle. Brush middle third of dough with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle buttered area with half of almond-brown sugar mixture. Fold one of the remaining dough thirds over filling. Brush folded dough with remaining melted butter. Sprinkle with remaining filling. Fold remaining dough third over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut into eight (1-in.-wide) strips. Hold each strip at both ends, twist in opposite directions three times.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Drizzle over twists. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lemon-Nut Twists in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2008, p17