Lemon Meringue Torte
Field editor Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, relates, "I copied this old recipe from a notebook that my grandmother compiled as a teenager."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and milk. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to pan. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add butter, lemon juice and zest; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in cinnamon. Fold in almonds. Spread hot filling over crust. Spread topping over filling. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 277 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Torte in Taste of Home February/March 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.