Lemon Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 additional minutes. Gradually stir in 1 cup of hot filling to egg yolks; return to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice and zest. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar in a bowl at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy. Immediately spread over pie, sealing edges to pastry.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 382 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 13, 2017
I have never been able to find the perfect Lemon Meringue pie recipe until this! just right and easy to make!
Nov 1, 2015
It does not give directions on how to make crust or if you even bake a crust first Other than that sounds good
Jun 22, 2014
This is the best lemon meringue pie recipe I've ever used. The lemon flavor in the filling was just right, and also wasn't too sweet. The finished pie with the baked meringue was really beautiful. This is a keeper.
Jan 19, 2013
Did not come out very good. The lemon filling was very thick. Could be the 6 Tbs of cornstarch is way too much. Might try again with less cornstarch.
Nov 24, 2011
everyone loved it. Came out great
Nov 1, 2010
Wonderful recipe! My husband's favorite pie is lemon meringue. I have made quite a few versions but this one is a winner for "keepers"!
Apr 12, 2010
This pie tasted good and the merigue turned out beautifully but when I cut into it, it has all this moisture causing the crust to get soggy. Maybe I should have let the filling cool more before I put the merigue on. Any suggestions? I will probably try this again just to see what the results are the 2nd time before I am too quick to judge.
Apr 11, 2010
I have never made lemon meringue pie before and was very nervous. The recipe was easy to follow and the pie turned out great!!!
Jan 4, 2009
This was an awesome recipe, it was my first time trying to make lemon meringue from scratch rather than a box and this recipe will definatley be used over and over!! Thank you....I had a hard time with the meringue it took me a couple of takes to get it just right!!
Oct 8, 2008
This looks like the same recipe my grandmother used. Just in the last couple of times I have used this recipe though the custard comes out perfect until I put it in the oven to bake the meringue. Then the filling goes runny. Any suggestions for what I am doing wrong?