- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt, lemon juice, peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer meringue to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe onto muffins. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forLemon Meringue Muffins
"YUM! I think most people consider lemon a springtime flavor. But, what a way to brighten mid-winter blues! I cored my cupcakes and filled them with homemade lemon curd. Sooo good!!"
"We enjoyed these and I didn't even make the meringue. A light dessert. Plenty of flavor,"
"This is the first muffin recipe I have tried and I'm very satisfied. I used orange instead of lemon. Texture is smooth and taste is delicous. At last I've found a simple and flavorful recipe."
"These would be good of you hollowed out a small portion and filled with lemon curd before the meringue. The lemon curd would be that tartness the cupcakes don't have."
"These muffins are so good. The meringue was easy too. I put the meringue in a plastic bag and cut a small hole at bottom corner. easy breezy. My granddaughter said the only thing that would make these better was if there was a filling. I'm working on that.. I also brought them to a dinner with friends. They look beautiful."
"Loved the flavor of these muffins! Making the meringue was so easy and adds a nice touch. Thanks!"
"very tasty and far easier to make than I was anticipating."
"I made these tonight and the lemon flavor was not very strong. I followed the recipe exactly. I will try again and add more extract."
"Loved them. The batter was amazing and I had to force myself to actually bake them. Not to heavy or to sweet either."
"This was a great recipe. My husband loves lemon meringue pie and he thought these were a close second. The meringue did not weep, although I just made them a few hours ago. The only change I would make next time is to maybe fill the inside with some lemon curd."