Lemon Meringue Ladyfinger Pie
Adding the little bit of orange liqueur really gives a nice zing to the taste of the ladyfingers, but it's delightful with simply the lemon syrup, too. —Karen Bowlden, Boise, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 cups crushed Lorna Doone shortbread cookies (about 60 cookies)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 medium lemons
- 3/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 soft ladyfingers, split
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur, optional
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix crushed cookies and melted butter; press onto bottom and sides of a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Finely grate 2 teaspoons zest from lemons. Cut all lemons in half; squeeze juice. For lemon syrup, in a small saucepan, mix 3/4 cup sugar and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove to a bowl; cool completely.
- For cream filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon zest and remaining 2/3 cup sugar until smooth. Gradually add cream and 1/2 cup lemon syrup, beating until thickened. Transfer 1 cup mixture to crust; layer with half of the ladyfingers. If desired, stir orange liqueur into remaining lemon syrup; brush over ladyfingers. Repeat layers. Spread remaining cream filling over top.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Spread over pie.
- Bake in a 350° oven until meringue is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate until filling is set, about 4 hours.