Lemon Meringue Desserts
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice. butter and peel. Pour into four 6-oz. custard cups; set aside.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Immediately spread meringue over lemon mixture, sealing edges to sides of cups. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
1 each: 227 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 29, 2016
That was simple to make.. Spatula leftovers were so yummy!!! Do I have to refrigerate until dinnertime?
Feb 20, 2015
I loved this. I made it with these gorgeous meyer lemons that I bought in bulk at Costco. It had everything I love about lemon meringue pie without the fattening crust. Will make this again. Maybe today.