Lemon Meringue Dessert
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makes2 desserts (12-15 servings each)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 packages (2.9 ounces each) cook-and-serve lemon pudding mix
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 9 cups water, divided
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Press into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine pudding mixes, 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water and egg yolks. Stir in remaining water until smooth. Whisk over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peak form and sugar is dissolved. Spread hot pudding over crust. Evenly spread meringue over filling, sealing edges to pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate. Cut with a moistened knife.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 205 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 21, 2013
I have made this many times for church and family potlucks and it always goes over well! It seems that many people don't know how to make lemon meringue pies anymore and when they see one on a potluck buffet, they are surprised that somebody has gone to all the trouble to make one--but this recipe is easy and practically foolproof! I usually omit the nuts in the crust if I know there are folks at an event with nut allergies, and substitute an equal amount of flour. The crust can be made quite easily in a food processor. Recipe also can be halved.