- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice, peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, beat the sour cream and butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Beat in lemon juice and peel. Drizzle over the cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forLemon Lover's Pound Cake
"Great recipe. This made a very large pound cake. I reduced the sugar in the cake to less than two cups. I also reduced the sugar in the icing, so the icing was probably not as thick as it should have been, but no problem. I had no lemon extract, so I used more lemon zest. This cake was very good, and I will make again. Thanks for the recipe."
"Love this recipe!"
"This cake is amazing, I used fresh lemons. This cake is awesome as written, I only changed one thing, I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream in the cake, and I left sour cream out in the glaze. I have it in my glass cake plate its better the second day when all that lemon flavor has a chance to blend. It actually makes my mouth water just thinking about it."
"This is one of the best and easiest cake that I have ever made. a real crowd pleaser."
"I took this to my volunteer group and they absolutely loved it. There were many request for the recipe. I added a little more lemon juice than called for to make it extra lemony but the recipe is perfect as is."
"I have made this several times and it really is very good. My family just loves it when I serve this. I would highly recommend this to everyone."
"Excellent lemon flavor. I have made this a number of times and it is always very good."
"This is the best lemon pound cake I have ever tasted! I myself had not made one until today. I did have my first cooking fumble in a long long time though. I did not greese the pan good enough in the groves and one side broke when I took it out to cool. Did not look the greatest, but tasted the best! I will really grease the pan good next time!! Be sure you sift your flour and powdered sugar before you add them as you would with any good cake recipe. You have to try this. If there was a higher rating than excellent this one gets it!"
"what is the difference between all purpose and self rising flour?"