I found this recipe in my files one day when I was looking for a bread that called for ingredients already in my pantry. I gave the loaf to some friends, and it was a hit.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in pecans and lemon zest.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For topping, combine sugar and lemon juice. Spoon over bread while still in pan. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 201 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Loaf in Best of Country Breads