I found this recipe in my files one day when I was looking for a bread that called for ingredients already in my pantry. I gave the loaf to some friends, and it was a hit.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in pecans and lemon zest.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For topping, combine sugar and lemon juice. Spoon over bread while still in pan. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 201 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Loaf in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.