Lemon-Lime Crackle Cookies
You can taste the spirit of Christmases past in these chewy old-time cookies with their crackle tops and lemony flavor. They're a luscious addition to cookie exchanges.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 2 large eggs
- 2 envelopes whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a blender or food processor, combine the coconut, lemon zest and lime zest. Cover and process until finely chopped, about 30 seconds; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine whipped topping, eggs, dry whipped topping mix and lemon juice. Add dry cake mix and coconut mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into a bowl of confectioner's sugar. Shape into balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Dream Whip topping.
Originally published as Lemon-Lime Crackle Cookies in Country Woman Christmas 2003
May 21, 2010
This is a very, very light and moist cake-type cookie that might be served at a tea party. It is so soft that it can easily fall apart. The cookie is tasty- but would not travel well.