Lemon Icebox Dessert Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a large heavy saucepan, combine egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, lemon juice and peel. Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add to the egg yolk mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- 3. In another large saucepan, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and remaining sugar and water. Cook over low heat, beating with a hand mixer on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Pour into a large mixing bowl; beat on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold into yolk mixture. Spread over crust.
- 4. For topping, in a small mixing bowl, beat the cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form; spread over filling. Combine coconut and orange peel; sprinkle over top. Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 344 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Icebox Dessert
"Rather involved production to make this dessert, but it's worth it! Just think, this is the way our mothers and grandmothers had to make things."