Lemon Ice Cream Pie
“Whenever I see the word ‘lemon’ in a recipe, it jumps out at me because lemon is my favorite flavor,” says Barbara Blickensderfer of Edgewater, Florida. “It’s rightfully up front in this refreshing pie.”
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- Dash salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. In a bowl, beat eggs and yolks; add to butter mixture. Cook and stir until filling reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Spoon half of the ice cream into pastry shell; freeze. Spread with half of the lemon filling; freeze. Repeat layers. In a small bowl, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spread over pie. Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight.