“Whenever I see the word ‘lemon’ in a recipe, it jumps out at me because lemon is my favorite flavor,” says Barbara Blickensderfer of Edgewater, Florida. “It’s rightfully up front in this refreshing pie.”
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- Dash salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt. In a bowl, beat eggs and yolks; add to butter mixture. Cook and stir until filling reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Spoon half of the ice cream into pastry shell; freeze. Spread with half of the lemon filling; freeze. Repeat layers. In a small bowl, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spread over pie. Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Ice Cream Pie in Taste of Home October/November 2006, p11