Lemon Herb Game Hens
My mom made game hens for my dad once a week. When my sister and I were little we would try to sneak some of the chicken from his plate. For this dish, use whatever herbs you have on hand. If you have some in the garden, even better! —Meagan Meyer, Irving, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours.
- 6 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each )
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 whole garlic bulb, separated into 18 cloves
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup coarsly chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place hens in a roasting pan. Cut 1-1/2 lemons into six wedges. Rub a lemon wedge over each hen; place wedges in roasting pan. Peel and cut garlic cloves in half. Rub cut side of a garlic half over each hen; place in cavity with five additional garlic halves. Rub 2 tablespoons oil over each hen; sprinkle with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix basil, rosemary and thyme. Sprinkle half over hens; place remaining herbs in cavities. Cut remaining lemons into 12 slices; place over hens. Roast 1-1/4-1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°.
Nutrition Facts1 hen: 956 calories, 76g fat (17g saturated fat), 351mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 61g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Herb Game Hens in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.