Lemon Ginger Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and sugar substitute until crumbly. Add egg whites; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with yogurt. Stir in ginger and lemon zest.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 171 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 5, 2014
I found them very good, but chose to cut the ginger down significantly as that seemed like a lot of ginger. Also due to dietary restrictions had to use all splenda. While I find the flavor delicious and them to be a decent muffin, they stuck about half in the muffin paper, and made them useless to serve to others, because it was necessary to have two per serving rather than one. I'm not sure what I could have done differently to prevent this.
Jun 18, 2008
Needs salt! These were tasteless and dense muffins, and we won't make these muffins again.