Lemon-Ginger Creme Brulee
Everyone raves about the combination of lemon and ginger in this version of the classic custard treat. It never lasts long! —Scott Hunter, Sherman Oaks, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the cream, 1/3 cup sugar and ginger until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in extracts.
- Transfer to six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Combine brown sugar and remaining sugar. If using a creme brulee torch, sprinkle custards with sugar mixture. Heat sugar with the torch until caramelized. Serve immediately.
- If broiling the custards, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 426 calories, 35g fat (20g saturated fat), 382mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.