- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel and salt in a saucepan. Stir in egg, lemon juice and butter until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool. Spoon 1/2 teaspoonful into each cookie. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forLemon Dreams
"I substituted lemon flavoring in place of the vanilla. It really makes for a lemony taste in every bite!"
"I made these for an summer engagement party and filled them lemon curd and also apricot..raspberry and fuji apple fillings...all were wonderful..and a beautiful display..I am now making them again for a summer baby shower...this is a very light melt in your mouth cookie much like a russian teacake but tasting more like a shortbread..Wonderful!!"