Lemon Dream Crepes
Need a light dessert idea for a luncheon? With a delicate lemon filling, these crepes are even better than lemon meringue pie! I have served them at many summer luncheons, and they seem to be a perfect ending for the meal. —Sue A. Jurack
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
Makes24 filled crepes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- LEMON FILLING:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Combine the milk, eggs, butter and vanilla; add to flour mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter until the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until edges are lightly browned; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For filling, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Whisk in eggs and yolks. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat. Transfer to a small bowl; press plastic wrap over top of filling. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold half of the whipped cream into lemon filling. To serve, spoon 2 tablespoonfuls of filling down the center of each crepe; fold sides of crepe over filling. Top with remaining whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 391 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 218mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Dream Crepes in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook