Lemon Daffodil Cake Recipe
You're sure to impress dinner guests when you present this eye-catching sponge cake. A light lemon filling and frosting make it a perfect springtime dessert.—Eunice Richardson, Shullsburg, Wisconsin
- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- LEMON FILLING:
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Divide mixture in half. Fold vanilla into one portion; set aside. In another large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in almond extract. Fold in unflavored egg white batter.
- 2. Alternately spoon batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Gently cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake on the lowest rack at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- 3. For filling, soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Gently stir in lemon juice and softened gelatin until gelatin is dissolved.
- 4. Cool room temperature without stirring. Fold in whipped cream. Refrigerate until mixture achieves spreading consistency, about 40-50 minutes.
- 5. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into two horizontal layers. Spread filling between layers and over top of cake. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 334 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Daffodil Cake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC