My grandmother passed away when I was 5 years old, so I treasure this recipe of hers. Grated lemon peel adds a refreshing flavor that makes these cookies stand out from other butter cookies.
Recommended: Mom’s Best Cookie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Yellow colored sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and lemon peel; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Cutouts in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p48