Lemon Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, decreasing water by 1 tablespoon and adding lemon curd, lemon juice and lemon peel before mixing batter. Fill prepared cups about two-thirds full. Bake and cool cupcakes as package directs.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, jam and milk until smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes; top with strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 219 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Apr 26, 2015
Instructions are incomplete. It says to follow the cake package directions, but to add in the additional ingredients listed above. Well, the package calls for egg whites and vegetable oil. So do I add those or not, since they are not in the list of ingredients above? Come on TOH, I expect clear directions!I figured it out, and after all that, they are just ok. I disagree with the others- the lemon flavor is there, but no strawberry taste. So, you need to double the amount of jam in the frosting to even get a hint of strawberry flavor. Or cut the frosting in half, except for the jam...it makes double what you need.
Aug 10, 2014
My grandkids loved these, as did my lemon-loving neighbor. I did, however, add an extra tablespoon of lemon zest. Will make these again for my grandkids' school parties. Might give this a try with blueberries. YUM!grandkids loved them, as did my lemon-loving neighbor.
May 30, 2014
I substituted seedless raspberry jam and put a raspberry on top. They were the hit of the tea party where I served them.
Jul 8, 2013
These are so cute and I love anything that I can use a cake mix with. Also happened to have 1/2 a jar of lemon curd that was dying to get used. What a great recipe and a great Bake Sale item.
Jul 8, 2013
Made these for a bake sale and put them in plastic cups in a baggie tied with pretty ribbon (as shown in TOH magazine). Decorated the tops with a strawberry "fan" and tinted the frosting with a pink cake decorator color as the jelly/jam did not yield the desired color. I also would have added a lemon flavoring to the cupcake as they weren't as "lemony" as I thought they would be. In colored cupcake liners with strawberry fans, and colored ribbon, they did make for an attractive sell.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.