Lemon Crumb-Topped Broccoli
Dress up broccoli with a lemony bread-crumb topping, and you might be surprised with the luscious result ... not to mention the positive reaction from guests.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 slice multigrain bread, toasted and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small skillet, saute garlic in oil for 30 seconds. Stir in bread crumbs and lemon zest; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in parsley; set aside.
- Place broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Drizzle with lemon juice; toss to coat. Sprinkle with crumb mixture.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 45 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Steamed Broccoli with Parsley Bread Crumb Topping in Country Extra November 2009