Lemon Crisscross Cookies
This is a favorite cookie that my sister used to bake when we were kids.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, cream the shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar. Beat in the egg, lemon zest and extracts; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Shape dough in to 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 199 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Lemon Crisscross Cookies in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook