As the family cook, I appreciate how easy this is to throw together on a busy weeknight. Plus, this salad never gets boring. One of my favorite variations is to substitute diced fresh mango for cranberries, cilantro for parsley, and lime for the lemon juice and zest. —Mary Shenk, Dekalb, Illinois
Featured In: 32 Addicting Avocado Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped peeled jicama or tart apple
- 1 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cubed avocado
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the first five ingredients until blended.
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add jicama, cucumber, cranberries, parsley and green onion to quinoa. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold. Gently stir in avocado before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Cranberry Quinoa Salad in Country Woman February/March 2016