Ruth "Sunny" Tiedeman of Bartlesville, Oklahoma suggests a dessert that's a cross between lemon pie and fruit crisp. "It's refreshingly tart," she reports.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture with coconut and cracker crumbs until crumbly. Press half into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir butter, lemon juice and salt.
- Pour over crust. Top with reserve crumb mixture. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes. Cool. Spoon into dessert dishes. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Store in the refrigerator.