Ruth "Sunny" Tiedeman of Bartlesville, Oklahoma suggests a dessert that's a cross between lemon pie and fruit crisp. "It's refreshingly tart," she reports.
Recommended: Diabetic Dessert Recipes for the Holidays
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture with coconut and cracker crumbs. Toss with a fork until crumbly. Press half into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Add butter and egg yolks Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; pour over crust. Top with reserve crumb mixture. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes. Cool. Spoon into dessert dishes. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Crackle in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p65