Lemon Clouds with Custard
Cool custard on a cloud of fluffy egg whites is the perfect ending to a heavy meal. —Jessica Wallace, Fort Worth, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 11 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon cold water, divided
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-3/4 cups cold milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine 5 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and lemon peel. Gradually stir in 1-1/3 cups water until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Set aside.
- In another heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining sugar and water. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed over low heat for 1 minute. Continue beating until mixture reaches 160°. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into lemon syrup. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Spoon lemon meringue into dessert cups; top with custard sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Clouds with Custard in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002