Lemon Chiffon Pie
"I've been making this recipe for Lemon Chiffon Pie since before I got married," comments Cathy Dwyer of Freedom, New Hampshire. The ribbons of chocolate compliment the tangy lemon flavor.—Cathy Dwyer, Freedom, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- Cut pastry sheet in half. Repackage and refrigerate one half for another use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining half into an 8-in. circle. Transfer to a 7-in. pie plate; flute edges.
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat for 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and a thermometer reaches 160° (do not boil). Remove from the heat. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and remaining sugar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed over low heat until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into lemon mixture; gently fold in whipped cream.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Spoon a third of lemon mixture into pie shell; drizzle with half of chocolate mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining lemon mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 444 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Jim's Favorite Lemon Chiffon Pie in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009