- 7 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Dash salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together twice; place in another large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla until smooth. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed just until stiff but not dry. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forLemon Chiffon Cake
"The taste of this cake is a very subtle lemon which I love. I didn't make any changes this time. Next time I believe I will make the frosting just a bit thicker: it came out in a consistency between glaze and frosting so it didn't look quite so pretty when I "frosted" the cake. This is only a minor change; I wouldn't change anything else!"
"Wanted a change from an angel food cake I make with a recipe from Canadian Living - to which I add lemon and sometimes lime zest - or a combination. This was an excellent cake! I did use mostly lemon juice in place of the water after reading the reviews. Will definitely be making many times. In response to the reviews I read about the cake being dense - which mine wasn't - it is VERY important to GENTLY FOLD in the beaten egg whites. Also DO NOT grease your cake pan. I learned from my Mom as a very young girl and have never had a problem with angel food or chiffon cakes. A note to people who claim to be good bakers and then throw out their results due to lack of taste - mash up some strawberries or make a rhubarb compote or use other fruit to drizzle over the pieces on the plate. I can't abide people who have no clue on how to save what they say is tasteless and end up wasting good food."
"This is delicious . Takes a little time but well worth it. Big hit with guests"
"I made this for my mom for her birthday. She always loved the chiffon cakes my grandmother used to make and her favorite flavor is lemon. It turned out fantastic! I even had a recipe book from my grandmother with her banana chiffon cake recipe, and the ingredients for the cake are almost exactly the same (except for the fruit, of course). Also, the frosting for this cake is amazing! It tastes like Pez lemon candy to me (sweet and tart) and goes very well with the cake."
"My first attempt at making a chiffon cake. This is DIVINE! Thank you."
"I live in Colorado so I was worried. Was my first try to a chiffon type cake and it was a success. I added a quarter cup of flour for the altitude, and used lemon juice for water. Otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Baked to 55 min and let it stay in there for another 7 min (aimed for 5 but got sidetracked). It fell out of the pan while cooling onto the plate I had it upside down over. Glad I planned for "just in case" since it raised only to the top of the pan. Picture perfect."
"This cake is fabulous!!! I made it for 2 separate occasions, both times to rave reviews. It's now one of my handful of go-to recipes. And, I should mention that I'm a professional baker."
"Made this cake, first time followed recipe. Only deviation from recipe was left in oven for 58 min. cake was perfect. Served it to family and friends and was a tremendous hit with all. Next time I make recipe I will substitute water with lemon juice and water. I would like to taste a little more lemon in cake. cake came out of tube pan perfectly and was very light and airy. Thanks for recipe submission - new favorite of mine."