VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (3/4 ounce)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Additional grated lemon peel and chopped basil, optional
- Place chicken breasts in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Finely grate enough peel from lemons to measure 4 teaspoons. Cut lemons in half; squeeze juice. Add peel and juice to slow cooker.
- Tear basil leaves directly into slow cooker. Add chicken stock. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 3-4 hours. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. If desired, stir in additional lemon peel and chopped basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Chicken with Basil in Taste of Home September/October 2017