Lemon-Chicken Velvet Soup
The lively flavor of lemon perks up this rich, brothy soup accented with sugar snap peas. “I enjoy this soup with a green salad, sourdough bread and a glass of white wine,” writes Celeste Buckley from Redding, California.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 10 fresh or frozen sugar snap peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the chicken, peas, parsley and lemon peel; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through and peas are crisp-tender. Stir in cream; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 352 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 730mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Lemon Velvet Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.