In Marshall, Illinois, Violet Beard puts a fresh face on chicken salad by adding lemon peel, green olives and mushrooms. There's just the right amount to make two satisfying sandwiches.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sandwich rolls or croissants
- Lettuce leaves
- In a blender or food processor, cover and process chicken until minced. Transfer to a bowl; add mushrooms, olives and parsley. In another bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice and peel, poultry seasoning and salt; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Spread about 1/2 cup on each roll; top with lettuce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Chicken Spread in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p52