- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-2/3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 to 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, saute rice and barley in butter for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add 1 cup broth, water, mushrooms and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-22 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Add 1/3 cup broth and wine or additional broth. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into pan juices. Stir in the lemon peel, dill, salt, pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Let rice mixture stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Serve chicken over rice. Top with dill sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forLemon Chicken 'n' Rice
"This was pretty good. The barley and rice was an interesting combination. To improve the nutrition, I'll try brown rice but it might have to cook longer. Also, I felt like I should use some of the juice from the lemon, maybe in place of some of the wine? I'll probably try some tweaks next time."