Lemon Cheese Squares
With a tangy filling and a nutmeg-flavored crust, this dessert hits the spot after a meal or as a snack. My grandmother made these bars for me when I was growing up, and they were my favorite.—Emily Weedman, Milwaukie, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a bowl, cream margarine and brown sugar. Combine the flour, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For filling, place the cottage cheese, egg, egg white and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, lemon zest and baking powder; cover and process until blended. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 30-34 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate until chilled. Cut into squares.