With a tangy filling and a nutmeg-flavored crust, this dessert hits the spot after a meal or as a snack. My grandmother made these bars for me when I was growing up, and they were my favorite.—Emily Weedman, Milwaukie, Oregon
Recommended: Top 10 Dessert Bars
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a bowl, cream margarine and brown sugar. Combine the flour, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For filling, place the cottage cheese, egg, egg white and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, lemon peel and baking powder; cover and process until blended. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 30-34 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate until chilled. Cut into squares. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Cheese Squares in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p19
Reviews forLemon Cheese Squares
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 3, 2010
"Absolutely excellent! I made it for my Grandparents, and he said "Now that is my kind of dessert!" I added blueberries and it was great."