Lemon Cheese Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, one egg and oil until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, extract and remaining egg until smooth. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 134 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 29, 2014
It was simple and good, but it needs more lemon flavor and cream cheese.
Jan 31, 2014
This is a great 'anytime' of the year recipe! By simply replacing the cake mix and extract you have a wonderful, rich seasonal dessert ready in no time. For valentines day I choose a cherry chip mix . Strawberry cake mix at Easter and Spice cake in the fall. Have fun with seasonal mixes!!
Sep 20, 2011
My family liked this recipe, but I think it might be better with the cream cheese layer doubled.
Jul 31, 2011
A good starter recipe, but if you want it more lemony, add some zested lemon peel and lemon juice.~ Theresa
May 9, 2010
This is so easy, and works so well. I have modified the type of cake mix and the flavoring, and it always turns out great. It's been a big hit at potlucks, too. Try chocolate cake mix with mint flavoring, or cherry cakemix with almond flavoring, or make up your own.
Feb 19, 2008
That looks really good. Here's another that I've gotten off this board. Delicious. Sue Posted by: tippytoes Replies: 33 Posted on: 4/13/2005 8:24:23 AM #T503123 Lusious Lemon Bars1 box Lemon cake mix1 stick of softened butter1 eggMix and press into 9x13 panCream: 8 oz. cream cheese, 1 lb. powdered sugar (3 1/2 cups) 2 eggs Pour on top of cake mixture. Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cooled. This is tried and true and everyone who eats them comments on how good these lemon bars are. Tippytoes
Feb 19, 2008
I struggled with this recipe. I baked it in a darker pan so it over cooked. I also felt like it needs more cream cheese and more lemon. I will make it again with some modifications
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.